Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ireland ahoy! - update

Krakow has been really nice so far.. Took the redeye train (5:30am) from lublin to krakow, staying at Nathan's Villa Hostel (run by nathan from lowell, ma). Went to see the big salt mine 30 minutes away. It was wicked. Tons of statues and even a church carved out of salt rock. Wait for the pics. Tomorrow i will go to auschwitz early and then hopefully start my journey to Ireland. I'm going to skip berlin.. just not feeling the big cities anymore. After buying the lonely planet book on ireland i meet a couple from ireland in the big plaza here. They filled me in on the best part to visit and what to avoid.. I will attempt to rent a car and travel the west coast, going as far north as Mayo area. Wish me luck! Hopefully upload some pictures soon, don't hold your breath though.


UPDATE:
just booked my flights and car; i will land in dublin on 19th, rent a "mini" car (e.g. really small, not mini the brand), drive to northwest and then make my way down coast to catch a flight on 30th from Cork. This will be my first time driving on left side of road (on purpose) and with a stick shift at that (automatics are uncommon and expensive).. Wooohoooo!!

I'm hoping my car will be about this size:


Also - Good Lord is ryanair cheap!! My flight over was expensive cause i booked last minute but my flight back to london was roughly $17. That is great.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon
How are you doing? I read your entry in the Needham Public Library when you were in Budapest.Like I've said before, I find your writing very interesting. I'm so glad you are doing this "this once in a life time" trip. Sounds like you are meeting so many interesting people and seeing so many beautiful places.It is beautiful here, 85 degrees. Sue and I took a ride in the "32' to get a bite to eat.Stopped by the Fords and was able to use her computer to send you this message. Thanks to Sue, this message will only take a fraction of the time that it would have taken me to type one finger at a time. Kevin Concannon stopped to install a new electric service. Problems with the dimming lights has improved 95%. Kim is taking a train out next Wed. to have dinner with Dad in Needham and also to instruct me in the use of the library computer. We are half way thru the month. You will be home in a couple of weeks and I should have gotten lessons earlier on. DAD

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, hi it's Sue. Aunt Mary's here. We had to leave you another message to make sure you got the first one. Have fun. Bye, Sue and Mary

3:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dad and Sue, got the messages, its nice to see your thoughts in type.! Hope you have gotten some of the postcards.. Will be sending some more out tomorrow. Love You!

Jon

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the drive seat on the right? If so, good luck shifting with your left hand!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Dino said...

Jon, I loved Dublin when I saw it earlier this year on a Bentley trip.

Be sure to go find a "dirty pint" somewhere in Ireland....

When driving on the left you'll constantly be turning on the windshield wipers -- at least that's what I did. But I didn't find it too hard to do, except for the traffic circles... wheeeee!

love the blog. keep it up.

Noah

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home